Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Thoughts on the USA vs Czech Republic match and the USA World Cup Squad

Wednesday’s game between the United States and Czech Republic, which saw the Czechs win 4-2, proved one major flaw about the United States national team: they have absolutely no depth, especially at the back. First of all, the best solution to the Jonathon Bornstein vs. Heath Pearce debate is simply to take neither, as both proved tonight why the United States should be terrified if they step on the pitch in South Africa. I think Bradley should take Oguchi Onyewu, Jay DeMerit, Carlos Bocanegra, Steve Cherundolo, Jonathon Spector and Clarence Goodson. Taking Bornstein or Pearce is simply a waste of a roster spot, especially Pearce who was responsible for the second and third Czech goals. I’m hoping that takes Pearce out of the running, and while Bornstein wasn’t as bad, I don’t see what he can contribute at the World Cup. I would feel much more comfortable with Maurice Edu slotting in at the back if necessary, but I doubt that will ever be the case. I know seven defenders would be favorable to six, but I would much rather see the USA have to revert to playing a 3-5-1, a formation they never play, instead of having a cancer like Jonathon Bornstein or Heath Pearce on the field.
The other concern at the back is Oguchi Onyewu. I’ve never been Onyewu’s biggest fan, feeling he has always been physically gifted, but not a tough enough player mentally. With his physical abilities limited, as shown by his performance last night, his value as a player dips heavily. It is tough to be critical of Onyewu, who has done a great job in rehab to even be considered to be on the roster, but this is the World Cup and if a player isn’t able to perform as well as another then the less talented one should not play. I will reserve total judgment on Gooch though, waiting to see how he does against the remaining games with Turkey and Australia before the tournament, but what he showed me tonight was a player not physically ready to perform at the World Cup. At this moment, my starting back four would be Cherundolo at right back, Jay DeMerit and Carlos Bocanegra at the center back positions and Jonathon Spector starting at left back. If Gooch proves he is physically fit by then, I would put him at center back, move Bocanegra to left back and have Cherundolo and Spector battle it out for the starting right back spot. Until then though, Onyewu has to sit.
In the midfield, I was impressed with the play of Maurice Edu, Stuart Holden and Jose Torres. Torres really did his hopes of making the team a favor with his performance tonight, doing a good job of spraying passes around to a variety of teammates and setting up the offense well. I think he will be announced in Bradley’s squad tomorrow, probably at the expense of Sacha Kljestan who was absent for much of his time on the pitch. I think Edu made a strong claim to be the central midfielder next to Michael Bradley in the starting lineup, while Holden’s play on the right side was encouraging as he could easily be asked to start there at some point during the World Cup so Clint Dempsey can move up to forward. DaMarcus Beasley, a player I have been critical of, also had a solid game and I think earned a spot in the World Cup roster. The midfielders I would select would be Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Maurice Edu, Ricardo Clark, Stuart Holden, Jose Torres, Benny Feilhaber, DaMarcus Beasley and Robbie Rogers.
Up front, I was encouraged by the play of Herculez Gomez. I believe he has a role for the USA at South Africa, probably coming off the bench with the expectation of finding the back of the net. His goal proved that he can obtain favorable positioning for goals, but I think he will be more productive coming off the bench than starting. However, I would still love to see him start alongside Jozy Altidore against Turkey, seeing how well the two work together. If they appear to have chemistry, than he may start in South Africa. I also think Brian Ching had a typical solid game. I’ve never been Ching’s biggest fan, likening him to a poor man’s Emile Heskey, but he is a physical presence on the pitch that could prove to be a handful against certain teams. The final roster spot would come down to either Edson Buddle, Eddie Johnson or Robbie Findley. Findley appears to not have made the cut, not getting a minute of playing time tonight. It’s probably for the best; Findley is a little too raw for International football at this point in his career. So it’s down to Johnson or Buddle. If I had to pick I would take Buddle, who did a good job tonight of holding up the ball and getting involved in the game. He is an individual who could perform better as the talent around him gets better, particularly when Donovan is on the field. The two have great chemistry for the Los Angeles Galaxy, and while the MLS is nowhere near the quality of the soccer they will face in South Africa, it is a bond the United States could benefit from. Johnson however, offers a different skill set then the other forwards being considered. This is because of Johnson’s speed, who would be the most natural fit to replace Charlie Davies at the starting forward position in terms of skill set. Johnson was unable to get involved in the game tonight though, as well as being extremely inconsistent over the past four years, I would take Buddle who has had fantastic form of late over him. Thus, the four forwards I would take to South Africa would be Jozy Altidore, Edson Buddle, Brian Ching and Herculez Gomez.
My 23-man roster would then look like this: Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Marcus Hahnemann, Oguchi Onyewu, Jay DeMerit, Carlos Bocanegra, Steve Cherundolo, Jonathon Spector, Clarence Goodson, Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Maurice Edu, Ricardo Clark, Stuart Holden, Jose Torres, Benny Feilhaber, DaMarcus Beasley, Robbie Rogers, Jozy Altidore, Edson Buddle, Brian Ching and Herculez Gomez. I don’t expect to get the roster completely correct though; I bet Bornstein makes the team at the expense of Rogers, Johnson could easily be taken over Buddle and I have a sneaky suspicion (although I pray to God I am wrong) that Sacha Kljestan could be selected over Jose Torres. No matter what happens tomorrow though when Bob Bradley selects his roster for South Africa, I hope he plays a better side against Turkey. This is not because I will be in attendance in Philly for the match, but because I think the United States needs a little momentum going into South Africa. Last night was good for experimenting; Saturday will be good for setting the tone for the tournament ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment