Tuesday, May 18, 2010

What I'm About

Hello... internet? Not really sure how to begin this. I guess I'll start with why I am here: I am an obsessive soccer fan. Based upon what I have called the Beautiful Game it wouldn't be a bad guess that my nationality is American, which is correct. My name is Wick Eisenberg and I am from Baltimore, MD. I found the beautiful game after the 2002 World Cup, obviously with the USA's run to the quarterfinals being the reason. After Brazil lifted the trophy, I was hooked but really didn't have much access to watching soccer overseas. I mostly followed it loosely through espn soccernet and other websites. Going into the 2006 World Cup I decided I wanted to find my favorite player and adopt his team as MY team. It didn't take me long to find him; in the sixth minute of the opening match between Germany and Costa Rica, German fullback Philipp Lahm picked up a loose ball, made a dramatic cut that caused the Costa Rican defender to fall to the ground, and promptly fired an unstoppable bullet against the far post and into the net. Further research told me that he was Bayern Munich's property, thus beginning my beautiful obsession with the Munich club and their diminuitive fullback. I bought the Fox Soccer Channel and Goal TV after the finals, helping me watch the sport I love on a more consistant basis. Despite Munich being my team, I would probably say that I watch the English Premier League more. However, I like to think I'm fairly knowledgeable on the major European Leagues: England, Germany, Italy and Spain, as well as much of what is going on with most national teams.
On a final note, I feel its important to state this: I am going to the World Cup this year in South Africa. I am seeing three games: USA vs Slovenia, USA vs Algeria and Netherlands vs Cameroon. It should be the experience of a lifetime, and I intend to report on the local goings on there on this blog. Until then, I plan on updating on a fairly regular basis, whenever I feel compelled to write my opinions (which will happen often). That is why I am doing this: to express some of my opinions through writing, hoping for any form of conversation with fans of the beautiful game

No comments:

Post a Comment